A very short engagement.

On the menu: Fruitcake Pie

Three months and eight days after Kevin proposed, we were married.

We eloped four weeks ago. It was the most perfect day, an intimate, deeply personal celebration beyond anything we could have ever dreamed of. We planned the elopement in six weeks. We kept things simple, understated, and cheap. We were married downtown and then went home for pie. The whole thing was so US. And that is what weddings should be.

We incorporated a lot of Irish traditions into our wedding, inspired by a beautiful wooden goblet Kevin’s father had carved for him a few years ago. Irish tradition says you carve a goblet for your love; if it is made of strong wood, it remains whole and you are meant to be together forever. You drink mead from this wooden goblet every day for a month after you are married–supposedly this is where the word honeymoon comes from–and your bond is cemented. We drank mead with our wedding pie, and we didn’t drink it after that because it was not very tasty.

There was always going to be wedding pie on our wedding day. Wedding cake was never an option. Since the Irish tradition is to eat fruitcake on your wedding day, I decided to make a fruitcake pie. Kevin was more than slightly skeptical. He watched, aghast, as I candied cherries and I candied pineapple. He grimaced as I mixed the candied fruits with sliced dates and pecans and poured a spicy, syrupy filling on top. But as this thing baked, it filled the house with a warm, comforting aroma and his apprehension subsided. I was relieved, because I had no idea if this fruitcake-as-pie thing would turn out or not. He wanted a slice right away. But we were not slicing into it until we were man and wife.

After our wedding–a traditional Irish handfasting–we came home for mead and pie. I whipped some cream–the traditional Irish wedding cake is frosted with a whipped cream frosting–and after removing the pie topper, we ceremoniously sliced the pie. And then he stabbed me in the teeth with a fork as he fed it to me. Once I gently gave him his first bite, we enjoyed the rest of our slices, happy that tradition was not completely unpalatable (remember the mead? Blech).

This pie is like a glorified pecan pie. Put a few kinds of candied fruits in there and add a lot of clove, and you’re set. It tasted wonderful and had a smooth texture that is quite impossible with fruitcake. It didn’t get stuck in your teeth. You didn’t need to gulp a glass of water after each bite.

It would have been great if I hadn’t forgotten to put the whipped cream on each slice before it was consumed. But if that’s the hardest part about your wedding day, you did something right.

Fruitcake Pie
from Taste of Home

Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
1 cup pecan halves, divided
3/4 cup red candied cherries, divided
1/2 cup chopped dates
1/4 cup chopped candied pineapple
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon each ground cloves, ginger and nutmeg

Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; set aside. Chop 1/2 cup pecans;
set remaining pecan halves aside. Chop 1/2 cup cherries; halve
remaining cherries and set aside. Combine the dates, pineapple and
chopped pecans and cherries; sprinkle over crust.

In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in the eggs, corn syrup, cloves, ginger and nutmeg. Pour over
fruit mixture. Top with the reserved pecan and cherry halves.

Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.
Refrigerate leftovers.

All photos in this post © Cait Kimball Photography.

This entry was posted in Dessert, Fruity, Pies, Sweet Treats, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to A very short engagement.

1. Emma says:

You cuties, you! I love the traditions you incorporated into this amazeballs day, and I think I’m promptly going to ask Eli to carve me a goblet. He will probably say no. But he’s probably busy doing something important, like thinking about bikes.

This pie sounds really really really really really really good. Wonder if, like fruitcake, it would get better (i.e. remain edible) if you left it in your fridge for a few years. Probs not.

• Brianne says:

Thanks, lady! Get gobleting! Is fir a good carving wood? Probs not. God, I was clearly never meant to be a forester. And trees >> bikes. But that’s just my opinion. You’ll never find me shredding gnar in the woods.

Um…we did not freeze any portion of this pie to eat on our 1st anniversary, otherwise I could tell you in a year how it tasted after a long time in cold storage. Our officiant gave us a wee cake, and we froze some of that instead.

2. Gah!! This post is the cutest! I love how quickly everything moved for you guys. Couldn’t be happier for you!

3. shannon says:

simply put, i love you. i don’t know what better way to say that. what a perfect, gorgeous day for the two of you. i would say i’ve seen all the photos, but i STILL can’t make it through all of them without getting weepy; i’m getting there, though. almost. emma can make fun of me for that one, but i really am like an old lady with the tissues stuffed in her bag over here. :)
    what a beautiful way to get married. and what a great way to do the fruitcake tradition. of course you candied your own fruits, too, because storebought candied fruits? REVOLTING. I don’t understand how even one container of those gets sold. I actually want to try this just to see how the homemade candied fruits meld in with the pecan pie flavors.
    love all of this, but mostly love you guys. happy wedding. again, and for the 73rd time. :)

• Brianne says:

Storebought candied fruits are also crazy expensive and come in obnoxiously large quantities! Why, yes, I would love to make 984 fruitcakes and keep them around to give to whoever needs a present on any given day. Candying them myself gave me control over the quantity, and I made just as much as I needed. I should have candied orange peel, though! Me and my can’t-deviate-from-a-recipe ways. I literally had just put the pie in the oven when I was like, “GAH! Candied orange peel would have added a bitter contrast to all this sweetness!” So if you make this pie, you should add orange peel and let me know how it goes.

And thank you for your kind words!

• emma says:

The old lady who just wants 60s wallpaper! :)

• shannon says:

oh and i SO DO WANT SIXTIES WALLPAPER, too. It’s like a quest at this point: find a house with everything looking wonderful except for an intensely never-ever-redone kitchen. with somehow gorgeous cabinets and new appliances whatever.

4. Hannah says:

Congratulations to you two!!! Brianne, I had tears while I read this and looked at your sweet pictures. What a beautiful day! I love all you shared about Irish traditions and a honeymoon, too, and how you incorporated it into your celebration. Just lovely. I wish you both a lifetime of love and happiness together. xx

• Brianne says:

Thank you so much, Hannah! It was such a special day. There are lots of Irish traditions out there–we rang bells after we had said our vows (did you notice the bell collar on the cat? We got her in on the fun, too!), I wore a braid in my hair for a while, and the crown of flowers I wore is also an Irish tradition. I also learned that the handfasting ceremony, during which you wrap ribbons around your joined hands, is the origin of the phrase “tying the knot!” Who knew?

5. Linda says:

Yay yay yay! Congratulations again to the two of you! I’m so happy you and Kevin decided to elope. It sounds like you stayed true to yourselves and celebrated your union in exactly the way you wanted. And I love the Irish traditions you incorporated into your wedding day, especially that pie! Beautiful photos!

6. carey says:

Hurray for you guys!! I love that you decided to go the elopement route. I can only imagine how stressful planning a wedding must be, and especially amidst the move and your fieldwork, and all the traveling back and forth you’ve had to do. (Not to mention the added pressure [real or perceived] that comes from taking into account the expectations of everyone attending, especially close family.) I know I’ve never actually met you or Kevin in person, but this seems like the perfect day for you two. (: You look beautiful, that dress is amazing, and Cait’s photos are gorgeous! And I’m so intrigued by this pie. I can definitely understand where Kevin’s skepticism came from, but when I think about all the components together (and the description “glorified pecan pie”), it sounds delicious. Way better than some plain ol’ fruitcake.

(Also, Poland Spring makes gin?!)

• Brianne says:

Carey. I can’t even tell you how I squealed when I found that old man gin bottle. Poland Spring used to make gin and vodka and bottled them in these sweet monk-shaped bottles! I’ve seen them in brown and clear glass, too. I love them!

Thank you so much for your kind words. The pie is indeed intriguing and easy to resist at first, but fear not! It truly is delightful.

7. Caitlin says:

I LOVE these pictures!! Congratulations to you both, what a beautiful way to celebrate each other! :)

8. AHHHHHH!!!!!! Congratulations!!!! I am so incredibly excited for the two of you!!!! And I loved the traditions you guys carried through on the big day, I am always so fascinated by different cultural takes on wedding traditions. The fruitcake pie was such an awesome idea, and I LOVE the cake topper you guys had. And your hair!!! Holy cow, girl, it looks so pretty!!!! Again, congratulations to you both, may you have a long and happy life together :D

• Brianne says:

Thank you, Eva! We had to search high and low for that cake topper. It was the last thing we needed! Even though we got married on a super small scale, we still stressed over the details and had to find just the right piece to put on top of our wedding pie. Here’s the secret to my hair: never cut it. I haven’t had a hair cut in 2 years! Oops. It’s now the longest it’s ever been, and it was fun to see my family and friends back home react to how much hair I have.

9. Mandy says:

Congrads! I can feel the happiness and love through your photos. Welcome to the married-box ;P